Thursday, August 28, 2008

Why I do what I do


I think of this sometimes, why document, why take a photo, what is it I do when I pick up my camera? I love photographing things, but there is more than the click of the button, composition, and lighting. There is soul! 

My mom died a couple weeks ago and I am moved to share the real reason I photograph and feel it is not only my passion but my calling. In July my mom insisted I photograph her and my dad, her last photo which ironically enough was glowing with the light of the sun. 

The immense shock and grief from the loss of a loved one is difficult. I had a mother-daughter photo session two days after this loss. I almost cancelled, but after talking with my client and thinking about it more I went ahead with it. Describing the immense healing that took place for me with this session will take some time, but I will try to describe it. We went to this magical place in Olympia called Woodard Bay where over a hundred seals have their babies, and make these incredible mammalian grunting noises while sitting on old log pilings. The daughter and the mother a beautiful testament of how our relationship with our mothers is a primal one with many layers. You can see the slideshow here

How many times have we had a moment where we made a memory, like the way our mom holds our hands when we are little or grown up, the struggle to get along, the deep well of love we have. I miss her! I miss her hands her eyes, her voice. The things she did that I found annoying. What is it about the relationship with our mother's that can be so complex and yet so simple? So this is why I do what I do, I preserve memories that are fleeting and the legacy for future generations as well as the treasure for the ones who miss and love those who have gone before us. 

2 comments:

Airika Pope said...

You're so right Dinea, the memories that we preserve are pricelss and we have no clue what the images we create will mean to future generations. I love this photo of your mom, and will continue to keep you in my prayers as you go through the grief of missing her.

Olivia said...

What a beautiful photo, Dinea...I am sorry for your loss. This is a lovely memory.

I truly enjoy your work. I met you at Rachel's gyrotonics in Olympia. I love what you do and your approach to photography.

You will laugh, but as I explored your web site, I clicked on "Seniors" thinking that there would be photos like this one...other beautiful seniors...I had to laugh at myself. There is so much to see in the faces of those who are older, I think. Perhaps this is because I myself am older now...

My blog is happyluau at:
http://happyluau.blogspot.com

Wonderful to meet you and to find your work,

Olivia